We believe and are committed to providing the students of this learning community with exemplary instruction designed to educate the whole child. We nurture intellectual curiosity, collaborative learning, critical thinking, and effective communication. Our shared belief is that every child can learn and grow and our instruction is aimed at supporting each student's individual ability to achieve at the highest levels.
We encourage all members of our learning community to contribute to the support of student learning and to act as collaborative partners in the education of our children. Students are guided in the exploration of their intellectual, artistic, technological, physical, social, and character development. Our rigorous, standards-based instructional program is geared toward enabling all students to meet the challenges of the future with confidence and compassion.
Our professional practice is rooted in a collaborative investigation into student status and progress which will inform our instruction and curricula revisions. We remain committed to supporting and promoting the best teaching practices across all grades and levels, such as active student learning, problem-solving and critical thinking, creativity, inter and intrapersonal reflection, effective communication, reading and collaboration in all classes. This work is ongoing and defines us as a learning community.
"We never know where the next great innovation will come from, but it is far more likely to come from people freed to do meaningful work within a commonly shared purpose than it is from a mandate or directive."
--Robert DavidovichMission Statement:
The mission of Avon Elementary School is to cultivate in students the knowledge, skills, and attitudes delineated in the New Jersey Core Curriculum Contents Standards and necessary to become happy, healthy, productive adults and informed, responsible citizens; to foster a desire to be independent, lifelong learners and problem solvers who are able to adapt to societal changes; and to empower students to take an active role in the democratic process in order to positively impact their families, their communities, their country and the world.
Our Core Beliefs:
We believe that effective teachers:
- Create opportunities for intellectual risk-taking, collaboration, problem-solving, and application of classroom learning to real life situations;
- Implement strategies that promote ownership of learning to students;
- Design instruction to integrate a variety of innovative technological tools and resources to enhance learning;
- Demonstrate ongoing professional growth in order to increase the quality of instruction;
- Collaborate with colleagues to share and discuss exemplary practices, interpret student performance data, and design assessments that promote twenty-first-century skills.
We believe that successful students:
- Communicate in a meaningful way for a variety of purposes and audiences;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the precision and nuances of written, visual, and aural medium through comprehension, interpretation, and evaluation;
- Employ critical and creative thinking skills to solve problems; and
- Pose questions, examine possibilities, and apply skills to find solutions to authentic issues
- Make positive choices related to physical and mental wellness; and
- Contribute to the local and global community in a collaborative and respectful manner